Friday, July 2, 2010

Flooding in Orchard Road



On Page 5 of this week's LRD, we read about the flood in Orchard Road. Amazingly enough, everyone could remember where they had been when they heard about the flood. I guess that shows that we all had been very shocked.

During our English lesson, we discussed about what could have possibly caused the flood. Some people said it might have been litter thrown in the drains while others said that the drains were not big enough. I had never heard of the Stamford Canal until today. That is the name of the canal that overflowed on June 17th, causing the flood.

From the article, we learnt that Orchard Road is known as one of Singapore's prime area. In the article, the writer described the flood as having 'swirling brown water the colour of milk tea'. Some of my friends said that that sounded delicious but I was very disgusted. We also read about how people had to scramble out of their cars and how the submerged road made it difficult to drive through as the flood water rose. There was a nice part about how passers-by helped a shop open its doors by ramming through the grilles as they had been trapped by the floodwaters. Of course, everyone had been caught off guard by this flood, as they had never been rain this heavy since 1984!!

Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about the flood?

For more pictures and videos, go to the link below:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/394710/heavy_rains_cause_severe_flooding_along_orchard_road.html

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised that Orchard was flooded. I was so relieved that no one was dead. I hope the government will do something about this matter so that this will not happen again.

Angelina Mok said...

I'm not quite sure but I was watching the news when I found out about the flood.

Angelina Mok said...

I am not sure but I found out about the flood when I was watching the news.
When I saw the flood I actually think it was 'cool'.
I also hope the goverment will do something about it.

hui ping said...

oh my I think they should makr more drains so that th water can flow easy and talk out all the leaves so that it do not get starck.

Ng Yih Der said...

Luckily that no one was hurt.I hope this would not happen again.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked when I heard this news from sister. I have never heard that Singapore had rained so heavily. I was quite sad that it had been raining so heavily. I wish that it will not happen again.

Name: Zhi Min

Vanessa said...

Goodness! Orchard is really a flood hot-spot! Luckily Orchard is not near beaches or seas as it will surely be terrible if it was....

Christine said...

O my gosh! I did not know that the flooding was so bad. I think that the PUB should make sure the Stamford Canal does not clog up again.In fact, no canal should clog up next time.This will prevent more disaters like the flooding in Orchad oad.

Zoe said...

Thank goodness we are not there! I hope Ochard will not flood again!

zanessa said...

makes me think of swimming!!!

ilovemyself said...

I was also suprised that Orchard road was flooded . Thankfully none was dead . Anyway this is just a small flood not like some other countries where the floods are worse . :)

vicki said...

I wonder whether if anyone was drown

Nicole Dave said...

whoa! I hope nobody died or drown.